5 Jul 2016
This Programme for Government Framework is a new approach which focuses on the major societal outcomes that the Executive wants to achieve and provides a basis for all sectors to contribute to the development of plans and actions. It is an approach which reflects international advice and well established practice. This Framework has adopted an outcomes based approach supported by indicators and measures to monitor progress.
Key points from IPH response
- People living in most disadvantaged communities experience the worst health outcomes and have the lowest life expectancy. IPH welcomes the overall purpose of the Programme for Government in tackling disadvantage and driving economic growth.
- PH endorses the outcomes based approach outlined in the draft Programme.
- IPH supports the commitment to cross-sectoral and cross-departmental working. The new structures and departments offer an opportunity for innovative ways to develop and embed collaborative working.
- IPH recommends a Health in All Policies approach to the development of the final Programme for Government to improve population health and health equity.
- The Programme for Government should take account of demographic changes in its planning and delivery of services for an ageing population.
- Tackling inequalities across the work of various departments should be a priority of the Programme for Government, if health outcomes are to be improved and inequity reduced in all aspects of life.